Monday, April 21, 2008

What might have been lost...

"This is not the sound of a new man or crispy realization."
Isn't that phrase delicious? "crispy realization." Good job, Justin Vernon. I wish I had winters like yours.


...
I find myself, once again, unsettled by art. There is something about entering into another world through theatre or movies or books or music that leaves you with a deep emptiness. There's that sense of losing something unreal when you exit the fabricated world. The wonder of what you would be were the illusion you saw through art your actuality. You are confronted with an alternate reality, and whether it be close or ever so distant from yours, it shakes you. It takes from you even as it gives.

Right now, if I were asked to define Art, I would say it was the gift of the Other that enters into and in some way shakes your everyday life. 

No comments: