Monday, April 14, 2008

A Brightness Unobscured

When I was in high school, I used to be terrified of being mediocre. I embraced this quote- "We must have richness of soul"- as embodying my desire to not sink into a flat, monochrome existence. "Richness of soul"- does that not sound like a desirable trait? It seems to imply lush colors and bright eyes and imagination. Suddenly, when I savor the way a word fits into a poem or the luxurious interplay of flavors in a good meal, it has a different meaning. It all plays into the search for an abundant soul.

1 comment:

Devon said...

I still have the large card that bears the quote, "We must have richness of soul." from our fabulous room in Paris. sigh. In an effort to recreate that idyllic period of my life, I have sticy-tacked the card to my wall next to the gruntled quote from Jeeves and Wooster and the, "Lord! We know what we are..." ophelia quote.